Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Mushroom Sliders and Jicama Fries

The general consensus is:

Mushroom Sliders are THE BOMB!!!

Jicama Fries, not so much.  Ethan liked them, but everyone else either ate them out of politeness (Mike) or threw them away.   I want to learn more about cooking Jicama because #1, it's cheap.  #2, they have the potential to taste like potatoes.  #3, it's cheap.  I will say it is very good raw!  Similar to a pear, but more potato-y.  I've seen it in lots of places made into slaw, topped on other foods (tacos?), as a "chip" to scoop dip, etc.  Raw, I get.  Cooked...not so much.  I did read recently that you have to cook it for like 12 hours in the crock pot, then it will be like potatoes.  I'm going to research that some more and do another test run.  

Cutting up the Jicama.
All cut up like "french fries".

Tossed in olive oil, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder.

I baked them at 400° for about 20-25 minutes, but they were still crunchy.

Now, those Mushroom Sliders....
Here is Mike being my "Super Guy" and mixing the meat for me.  

Mushroom Sliders
1-2 lbs of ground meat (I've used beef before, but tonight we had turkey and they were yumm-o!)
1 egg
1 cup chopped mushrooms (I use my Ninja.)
½ onion, diced (again I use my Ninja)
Sea Salt, Pepper and Garlic Salt

**I had some extra bacon from breakfast this morning, so I threw 3 pieces of bacon in the Ninja and added that to the meat mixture too.**

Mix altogether and form small patties.
Grill until cooked through.  I have also cooked these with the broiler of my oven.

If you want you can use lettuce leaf as a "bun" you may.  The original recipe used Portobella mushrooms cut in half as the "bun".  We have ate them like this, but only when it was just a few of us.  Those are pricey!  Lettuce is a much more economical option!!  The kids didn't care, some used lettuce, some just picked it up with their fingers!  

Mustard = YES
Ketchup = NO




No comments:

Post a Comment