Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Baking Day ... How I prevent REVOLT!!

One of the ways I keep my "boys" happy is to make paleolithic baked goods.  I really file this in the realm of "cheat".  You can package it differently, but overall health and well-being is not going to come from baked goods.  Bummer.  I know.  That first picture down there...yeah, I could eat the whole pan.

We are talking about a "lifestyle" here.  What is going to keep you going for the long term?  Will you be more apt to stay on track if you have some of those "favorites" every once in awhile?  Nobody wants to live life without chocolate chip cookies!!!  I make special treats for us at least once a week.  I don't always eat them, but the kids and Mike do.  Their favorite is Chunky Monkey Muffins, but I didn't make those today.  ;)

Today I made Blueberry Scones and Chocolate Chip Cookies:







Christian and Justin cannot eat the scones.  They are made from cashew meal.  Justin is known anaphylactic to cashews, it's a definite NO for him.  Christian has other tree nuts that he reacts to, cashews hasn't been tested, but he avoids all tree nuts. I try to make something they can eat when I make something out of almond or cashew.

Baking paleo is very different than traditional baking!  It's definitely a learning curve, and I'm still learning!!  The kids are gracious and give me lots of affirmation.  Actually, no, they are very vocal about how horrible something tastes.  I still haven't told them that the brownies they had a few weeks ago had spinach in them. I may try those again sometime.  I loved the look on their faces when they ate them.  ;)

I have had several successes with my new way of baking, and this is two of them.  The Blueberry Scone recipe is from Fed & Fit.  I haven't explored their site beyond this recipe that I was linked to from someone else.

The Chocolate Chip Cookies is adapted from the cookbook Primal Cravings.  They are not 100% Paleo, they do contain butter and baking powder.  If you absolutely cannot have dairy, you can sub the butter for palm shortening.  Baking powder can be subbed as follows:  
1 tsp baking powder=1/4 tsp baking soda + ½ tsp cream of tartar

Chocolate Chip Cookies

½ c. butter, softened
¾ c. coconut sugar
1 egg
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. tapioca flour
¼ c. coconut flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375°
Whisk together salt, tapioca flour, coconut flour and baking powder.  **Note: always run coconut flour through a sifter.  I put all these ingredients into the sifter and sift them together.
Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer for approx. two minutes, until fluffy.  Make sure you do this!  Add the egg and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
Turn your mixer on low and slowly add the dry ingredients.  Once mixed, fold in your chocolate chips.  I use Enjoy Life brand.  You could sub another type of chip or chunks or whatever.
Use a cookie scoop to drop your cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake 12 - 15 minutes, then allow to cool for about 5 minutes and move to a cooling rack.

IF you prefer crispier cookies (I don't) you can omit the egg.  Add the dry ingredients after beating the butter and sugar, then add 3 TBS water.  Then fold in your chips.  I have not made those and it would certainly be personal preference to want a thinner, crispier cookie.  :)

Enjoy!!





No comments:

Post a Comment