Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Butternut Squash...A Trial Run

As we move into incorporating more and more fresh foods into our everyday diet, I am having to experiment and try new things.  I will admit, that up until a few weeks ago, I never had squash of any kind.  I have never, ever and I mean never liked pumpkin.  In my mind, squash = pumpkin.  I was proven wrong with spaghetti squash and have found I do enjoy it with a wonderful, thick, meat sauce.  Tonight we tried butternut squash.  Confession is good for the soul right?  I cheated a little.  I bought a bag of cut and washed squash at Trader Joe's.  All I had to do was roast it in the oven tossed with some olive oil, salt and pepper.  After it had baked about 30 minutes, I poured a maple syrup sauce over the top.  I do believe this is what made everyone (except Matthew) decide it was good!  That's ok, I'm not opposed to making life and food a little sweeter!



I put 3 TBS of maple syrup in a measuring cup and added 3 TBS of butter and about 1/2 tsp cinnamon.  I let this set on the stove while it was baking and let the butter melt into the syrup.  Once the squash was done, I just poured it over the top and stirred it up.  It was YUM!

My favorite "cheat", which really isn't a cheat, but it sure seems like it, is grilled stuffed mushrooms.  These have become a fan favorite around here.  I used to make a couple large ones, but now everybody wants a mushroom!!  I have had to grow these a bit!  Tonight I used smaller portabello mushrooms so everyone could have one.

Wash the mushrooms.  Cut out the stems, and clean out the gills with a spoon. 


Cut up 2-3 pieces of bacon real quick, and chop up some onion in your chopper.  Mix the bacon and onion with 4oz. cream cheese.


Stuff the mushrooms.


Top with shredded Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.  (Real, not fake in a can.)

These were all grilled up, with chili lime chicken, by my amazing guy!!!!



I added some oriental sweet potatoes...ok I was hungry....and we had an amazing dinner!  




No comments:

Post a Comment