Friday, April 25, 2014

Grilled Sweet Potates and New Converts

Tonight's feeding of the masses included grilled balsamic chicken and grilled sweet potatoes.

I'm not a fan of traditional sweet potatoes.  Not sure why, but I think I'm allergic to orange.  In my quest to find a tolerable potato option, because the sun rises and sets on potatoes, I found my new favorite potato!!  Oriental Sweet Potatoes!!!  They have a purple-ish/red skin and are white-ish/yellow on the inside.  (No more orange!!). These are super sweet and taste phenomenal plain with nothing on them.  Sometimes I will put a bit of real butter on it, but it isn't necessary at all!!

When I made these in the past, my darling little mongrels ruined them by treating them like a regular potato.  They slathered them in butter, sour cream, cheese, etc.  I tried to warn them!!  Those potatoes ended up in the trash, and rightfully so.  Yuck!!!  After that, no one would eat them but Mike and me. No problem, more for me!!!

Tonight, I changed it up and grilled them with a yummy "sauce".  I saw a few crinkled up noses as I scanned the table, but soon heard proclaims of "mmmmmmmm".  Score one for mom!!

I don't have a picture, so you'll have to trust me!!

Grilled Sweet Potatoes

4 sweet potatoes, scrubbed
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (I might use more next time.)
1/2 tsp. chipotle  powder
2 Tbs. Apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. olive oil

 Place potatoes in a pot and cover with water.  Bring to boil on stove and cook for approx. 10-12 minutes.  Less if you potatoes are small.  Drain and cool slightly.
While potatoes are cooking, mix together spices and vinegar.  Add olive oil, pouring in a slow stream.
Cut potatoes in half lengthwise.  Brush with spice mix.
Coat grill wrack lightly with olive oil.  Do this by soaking a towel in oil and rubbing on grill.
Grill potatoes until grill marks form and potatoes are cooked through.  Approximately 20 minutes.  

***Extra notes:  This makes about 8-10 servings depending on the size of your potatoes.  I brushed the skins as well and it made the skin crunchy and yummy!  Be careful not to burn the surface of your potato. You could also try slicing these into larger "chunks" making 3 servings per potato and having two "grilled" sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment