Saturday, May 10, 2014

Need a coffee pick me up??

I love coffee.  Ok, that's an understatement, but you don't really want my true coffee feelings broadcast all over the web.

Since removing refined sugar from my daily life, though, coffee has been harder and harder for me to drink.  I admit it.  I doctor my coffee up.  Sugar, cream, sometimes flavorings.  Mocha, caramel, I'm not prejudice.  But now...coffee makes me sad.  :(  I have yet to find anything that compares to refined sugar and bottled, flavored creamer for my coffee.  I'm thankful that the paleo lifestyle gives me TONS of energy and I wake up refreshed and ready to take on the day, otherwise, well, me and that sugar bowl would still be good friends!

I've made at least three homemade creamers.  I've used coconut cream, coconut milk and almond milk.  I've used maple syrup and honey.  None are good enough.  I did resort to just putting chocolate coconut milk in my coffee and that was ok.

In my never-ending search for the perfect paleo coffee, I found this recipe and just had to try it!  I enjoyed it a lot.  I'm sure the banana helped give it the sweet kick it needed.  I will make this throughout the summer.  The recipe says it is one serving, but it couldn't finish it quick enough, so you might be able to split it with someone.  Or not!!!

 
Banana Mocha Shake from Paleo Spirit

1 frozen banana, sliced
1/2 c ice cubes
1/2 c strong coffee
2 TBS cocoa powder
1 TBS honey
1 TBS coconut butter
Small splash vanilla

Blend in blender until smooth.  Enjoy! 

The link will give you directions on how to make coffee ice cubes.

If you don't want to make this, but enjoy cold coffee, you might try this.  I'm a fan and have a few stashed in my fridge.  Just an FYI, they do contain sugar.




No comments:

Post a Comment